Piedmont’s Boy Scout Program has been a community fixture for over a century, providing Piedmont’s boys with the life skills that help them mature into young men. However, Piedmont Council also works to bring equally great volunteer and adventure opportunities to Piedmont’s young women. Through the National Boy Scout Association’s Venturing Program, boys and girls aged 14 to 21 create crews, equivalent to troops, that are entirely student-led and based upon a common interest. In Piedmont, this program has nourished many wonderful groups of Piedmont youth, as they explore developing interests and take on leadership roles. Take a look at some of Piedmont’s Venturing crews:
- Piedmont Community Service Crew - At almost a hundred members, this crew holds community service-based events almost twice a weekend.
- Police Explorers (Post 911) - Unlike most venturing crews, Explorer posts are usually founded on a common career interest, in this case learning to become a police officer, while serving the community.
- Oakland Strokes - An award-winning rowing crew that provides many Piedmont teenagers with a thrilling challenge and new friendships.
- Piedmont Post - Piedmont youth who want to pursue journalism as adults can participate in the creation of their local newspaper.
- Piedmont Fencing Crew - The crew provides teenagers with fencing instruction and exposure to a sport less common in the US.
- High Adventure Crew - Takes Piedmont youth outdoors on adventurous trips like urban hiking, snow camping, backpacking, rafting, dune-jumping, and many more!
- Piedmont Youth Bagpipe Band - A wonderful Piedmont tradition, the bagpipes are taught to interested Piedmont youth.
- Sea Scouts (Ship 16) - Piedmonters can learn the workings and operation of a ship while sailing around San Francisco Bay.
To conclude, Piedmont’s Venturing program offers a lot for youth looking to expand their interests, but also encourages students to take on leadership roles, work toward awards, and become prominent members of the BSA community.
For more information about Piedmont Venturing, visit http://piedmontbsa.org/venturing/