By Catherine Teare
A record number of Piedmont Basketball Foundation teams made it to the playoffs in the MVP Basketball Spring League last weekend.
The 7th grade boys purple squad notched two thrilling, come-from-behind victories to capture the championship, becoming the first Piedmont team to take first place in an MVP “Power” flight of top East Bay teams. The 5th grade girls also were champions, beating two very strong Danville teams and finishing the season with an 8-2 record. And the 3rd grade boys finished in second place, after a 34-32 loss in double overtime in their championship game.
In other playoff news:
- The 4th grade boys had a great season and made the playoffs.
- The 5th grade boys were 6-4 overall and had a great season.
- The 6th grade boys went 7-1 in the regular season, ending in first place. They lost in the semifinals in a very close game.
- The 8th grade boys also finished the regular season 7-1, tied for first place in their division. They showed outstanding teamwork and defense throughout the season.
- The 8th grade girls put on a strong showing in their semi-final game against an excellent Brentwood team before falling behind in the second half.
Congratulations to all these players and coaches, and the other PBBF teams, on a fabulous season!